Friday, August 3, 2007

Software Review: Mozy


This utility is so fantastic it’s almost too good to be true. Mozy lets you backup up to 2GB of your data absolutely free and it’s very simple to install and use. If you need more storage then you can subscribe to Mozy’s unlimited plan for $4.95/month.

I use it to backup my My Documents folder. The only problem I had was that I had over 2GB of data there and I wanted to use the free plan. So, I had to move my music collection to another location. A little bit of a pain but it’s worth it to know that I’ll never lose any of my critical data. If you have a lot of stuff like pictures and such that you don’t want to worry about losing then the unlimited plan is probably your best bet.

The Mozy software runs every night and creates a backup of any documents that have changed since the previous backup was performed. These are stored on Mozy’s servers so you won’t be using up any disk space. The data transfer is encrypted and access is password protected so it is safe and secure.

If you aren’t doing nightly backups you should be and this is one of the best solutions around.

No comments: