Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Two Steps Down the Road to Financial Freedom


Today marks a significant milestone in a journey my wife and I began just over a year ago. Today we and I jumped from Step 2 to Step 4 of Dave Ramsey’s “The 7 Baby Steps to Financial Peace”. I received my severance check from Micron and as soon as it cleared the bank I started paying off debts and putting money in savings. Here are the steps if you aren’t familiar with them and our status:

Put $1,000 in savings as an Emergency Fund

[Done - $2k – June 2007]

Pay off all debt using the Debt Snowball

[Done – July 2008]

Put 3 to 6 months of expenses in savings

[Done – Four months – July 2008]

Invest 15% of household income into Roth IRAs and pre-tax retirement

[I’ve been contributing for 15 years – Currently at 7%]

College funding for children

[Have a small fund and am contributing a small percentage]

Pay off home early

[Currently paying 120% of the normal payment]

Build wealth and give!

[Giving was first on our list so we’ve been doing that – Building wealth will come last if at all]

Technically, I’m breaking the rules a bit but rules are meant to be broken, right? For example, I’m contributing to a college fund for Brendon even though I haven’t completed Step 4. I figure that it won’t do him much good if I start the college fund 5 years from now.

I wish that I could claim that I had done this the hard way through the sweat of my brow and long years of denying myself (not really) but, in fact, I have to give thanks to the Lord, good old Micron, and the patience and generosity of my new employer. I took my boss out to lunch today and thanked him personally for making this possible. Had he not been willing to wait 4 months for me to start my employment I would not have been able to do this for another couple years.

I am elated to free from all non-mortgage debt. This is the freedom that I know God wants us to live in and I pray he gives us the wisdom and discipline to stay here. If you’re debt-free then congrats! If not, I’d encourage you to start now.

1 comment:

Jonah Keegan said...

I know it's tough to make college savings a priority, but if you're looking for help with your college savings, try Freshman Fund. I am one of the company's founders.

Freshman Fund is a college savings gift registry that lets friends and family gift directly into your childís college fund. It's a simple way to give and get meaningful gifts.