Monday, February 5, 2007

Transparent Leadership


Last week I wrote an article on thatI thought I would share here:

---

Transparent Leadership
By Greg Prosch


Most of you have probably heard the term "transparent leadership" which has been a buzzphrase in leadership circles for some time now. But what exactly does it mean?


I remember having a conversation with my friend Pat some years ago as he shared with me yet another story about how he had just experienced miraculous victory over something in his life. I noticed that Pat had made a pattern of this. He would only exhibit transparency after he had achieved at least some degree of victory. He was never transparent during his period of weakness when he was struggling. I pointed this out to him and the realization stunned him.


Another friend of mine —let's call him Jim— had a significant moral failure that had been discovered by someone close to him. To his credit, Jim was transparent about his sin. He confessed it to the congregation and even used his failure to help others by starting a ministry to reach out to those with similar issues. However, if Jim had been open about his weakness earlier perhaps he could have addressed the issue and eliminated or reduced the hurt he caused himself and others.


I consider both of these stories to be good examples of transparency but they also point out some common misconceptions about what it means to be transparent. There is more to transparency than admitting past failures or adopting a position of openness when we have been caught with our hand in the cookie jar.


So what is transparent leadership? Here's my working definition: Transparent leadership is a method whereby the leader models the desired behaviors and adopts a position of openness regarding his strengths and weaknesses in achieving them by purposefully drawing attention to his own motives and performance for the edification of others.


If you thought that definition was a mouthful, I agree. Transparent leadership has many facets. One of the key points that I want to highlight is the aspect of purposefulness. This involves intentional self-examination on the part of the leader and regular disclosure to others regarding what is found, both good and bad. This is a difficult challenge and creates a certain tension. I am not proposing that every negative detail of the leader's heart should be exposed continually. Rather, I am suggesting that suitable examples be selected and shared for the purpose of getting off the pedestal and being real with those in your sphere of influence. Sharing about your positive gifts and experiences can also be challenging but is equally important. The developing leaders who seek to model you need to observe and understand what makes you effective. In both cases, strive to maintain a humble spirit when you disclose personal details. Leaders who jump into the spotlight for their own edification can diminish their effectiveness in developing Godly leaders around them.


The Pauline Epistles are packed with examples of transparency from the Apostle Paul. Consider, for example Paul's lengthy discourse on sin in Romans chapters 6-7 and the revelation of his own struggles toward the end of chapter 7. Also, in 1 Tim. 1:12-16 Paul refers to himself as "the worst of sinners" in his instruction to Timothy. I especially like Paul's instruction in 1 Cor. 9 and specifically verse 22b where he says, "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." Does this imply that Paul is wearing a mask rather than being transparent? Not at all. Instead, Paul identifies those aspects of his character that need to be exposed and expressed in order to make his message acceptable to others. I would describe this as results-oriented purposefulness.


Let me share another story, one that more fully demonstrates transparent leadership. I recently completed the Vineyard Leadership Institute (VLI) program where the principles of transparent leadership were taught and we were called to put them into practice. I had the privilege of learning these things firsthand from our Site Coordinator —Pastor Chad Estes— who has since become a friend and mentor to me. As he facilitated the class he lived out the principles of transparent leadership just described. I recall many occasions where, with genuine tears streaming down his face, he humbled himself before us and exposed his weaknesses both past and present. I also remember numerous times where he shared with us his successes and triumphs as if we were family. Chad's leadership was genuine and authentic. Although some of it was no doubt spontaneous, I am sure that most of it was conducted with prayer and forethought. And yet it never felt contrived, rather it was purposeful.


And now this mantle has passed to me. After I graduated from VLI Chad invited me to facilitate the weekly lecture portion of the program. From the outset I verbalized to the students my commitment to model transparent leadership for them as it had been modeled for me. Has it been easy? Yes and no. It is fairly easy for me to talk about my weaknesses but harder to talk about my strengths. But, the most difficult parts to master are the self examination necessary to be transparent and listening to the Holy Spirit regarding what to reveal and how.


Here's an illustration from my own life since an article on transparent leadership practically demands one: As I write this I have just finished a bulletin article for my church. The plan was to write a nice, encouraging article promoting marriage and our marriage ministry's upcoming Valentine's banquet. As I searched my heart for what I should say I kept feeling a gentle prompting to share some recent experiences from my own marriage. To make a long story short, over the past year I had been confronted with some shortcomings of my own with regard to investment in my relationship with my wife. With more than a little trepidation I put these truths in black-and-white for all to see. And, I also shared what I had done to address my shortcomings and the rewards that had followed. To borrow some words from a Casting Crowns song, I allowed my church community to see "The truth behind the person they imagined me to be." I think this will be far more powerful than summarizing the five most relevant points from the latest publication on marriage, don't you? This approach will free other couples to come out from behind their masks and share about their own struggles with the hope that they can receive the support and encouragement they need to thrive in their marriages.


I realize that this perspective on leadership goes against the grain of what is acceptable in many churches and denominations and what many of you have been taught, but my observation is this: Perfection is not a requirement of leadership. Yes, we have a higher standard to follow and should not compromise the essentials but our post-modern culture will reject anything short of authenticity and grows increasingly skeptical of those who hide behind a façade of perfectionism. So, to take poetic license with the famous quote often attributed to St. Augustine: "Lead transparently at all times. If necessary, use words."

No comments: