Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Vineyard Leadership Institute


Christian leadership development is something that I am passionate about. A few years ago I enrolled in a two-year academic program called Vineyard Leadership Institute (VLI). It’s a college level course which has recently received ACE accreditation. My wife had enrolled the previous year and I was inspired by the changes I was seeing in her so I signed up too. Through VLI I experienced a period of significant personal growth in the area of Christian leadership. I learned the importance of transparency and authenticity. My heart also grew for others. Instead of serving mostly out of a sense of obligation and obedience I grew to a point that I began to truly have a heart for others more than I ever had before. For two years I was pulled out of my comfort zone and stretched in ways that I hadn’t expected. The VLI motto pretty much sums it up:

“Act like a leader. Think like a scholar. Love like the Lord.”

Here is a description of the program from the VLI website:

Vineyard Leadership Institute (VLI) was created to integrate hands-on training, ministry experience, spiritual formation, and academic understanding with an uncompromising commitment to excellence in biblical-theological, ministerial and spiritual-formational training.

Perhaps the coolest thing about VLI is the hands-on training. Part of the program includes the execution of a leadership project during most quarters in which you must lead others in a ministry endeavor. Basically, you must actually “do the stuff.” I also learned a lot about the Bible too. I especially valued learning more about the Old Testament, parts of which I just didn’t understand well and had studied very little. I began to understand myself better and also discovered a new passion to engage in spiritual disciplines, especially prayer and devotional study of the Word.

Some of you who read this could enroll in VLI and others live in areas where that would not be feasible. Whatever the case, I would encourage you to consider the importance of lifelong education and spiritual growth as you continue on your discipleship journey.

2 Timothy 2:15 - Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

No comments: