Wednesday, April 4, 2007

The Jealous Zealot



I was asked a few weeks ago to play the role of a Zealot in our church's upcoming Journey of the Cross production. This is an annual, week long event in which the church and community have an opportunity to experience the events leading up the cross and extending beyond to the resurrection.

So, I began some research to find out what a Zealot was. The word "Zealot" literally means to be "jealous on behalf of God". Originally, a Zealot was a member of a group who ardently opposed the Roman occupation of Israel and advocated the violent overthrow of Roman rule. Today the term is usually used with a somewhat negative connotation to describe someone who is excessively passionate about something.

I have recently learned to look more closely at the events in my life as opportunities from which to learn. As I examine my own life I see areas where I have been overly zealous or "jealous on behalf of God". This is usually followed by a legalistic attitude that leads to me using my influence to force my beliefs on others with the expectation that their behavior will change in some expected fashion. And therein lies the danger. Passion is a good thing but it must be tempered by wisdom and love and directed by the Holy Spirit.

For my role as a Zealot during the Journey of the Cross I have decided to be a man who is torn between his love for God, his people, and all that is holy and his total resentment for the Iron rule of Rome under which he finds himself. Although this Zealot has developed some unhealthy attitudes and beliefs, he is still a compassionate person at his core and has been captivated by the heart of Jesus. And though he chooses to see Jesus from a limiting perspective, he knows that he is the hope for Israel's future.

++++++++++ MONOLOGUE ++++++++++

Hear me Israel. I am Simeon - a Zealot. To be a Zealot is to be jealous on behalf of God! Thus, I am jealous for the hearts of God’s chosen people. I am jealous that you might turn to God and reclaim what you have lost.

My brethren, I tell you the truth. The time has come for Roman tyranny to end. Our God will deliver his people Israel from the yoke of slavery as He did in the days of Moses.

We live as pigs to the Romans while they grow fat on us. I have heard from those who have been to Rome that the rich there feast continually. When the gluttons can eat no more they empty their stomachs in the vomitorium so they can feast again. Yet we labor day and night to provide enough food for our families. Remember this the next time the tax collector demands your tribute.

Israel, we are losing our identity as God’s chosen people. The influence of Greek and Roman culture has pervaded ours and corrupted all that we once considered holy.

But I believe we have hope again. Have you heard that the Rabbi Jesus is here in Jerusalem? Some think he is a prophet of God, others even say that he is the Messiah who has come to restore the throne of David.

Do you remember what is written in the Psalms?

The LORD swore an oath to David,
a sure oath that he will not revoke:
"One of your own descendants
I will place on your throne-
For the LORD has chosen Zion,
he has desired it for his dwelling:
"Here I will make a horn [c] grow for David
and set up a lamp for my anointed one.
I will clothe his enemies with shame,
but the crown on his head will be resplendent."

The prophet Jeremiah prophesied of this day as well. You see now do you not? The Lord has established his throne here in Zion.

I myself went to listen to this Jesus speak and here is what I heard him say:

From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it.

Do you not hear what he said!? We must take back God’s Kingdom by force!

If you do not listen to my words, who’s will you listen to? The Pharisees? They do nothing but talk from sunrise to sunset about the law. They endlessly debate what can or cannot be done on the Sabbath and yet they do nothing that brings glory and honor to our God.

Or would you listen to the Sadducees who are nothing but the puppets of Rome? It was they who seduced you into accepting the abominable customs of Rome. Through them you have defiled yourselves.

Or perhaps you think the Essenes to be wise? The Essenes are cowards! They hide out in the desert when they should be here in Jerusalem ready to fight for the throne of our king.

God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, give these people ears to hear and eyes to see.

Listen to me Israel! If this Jesus calls us to stand up and overthrow the Romans we must be ready!

No comments: